That's why I love Voicethread.
What is Voicethread you ask?
It is a multimedia slideshow that allows users anywhere in the world to collaborate.
Here are the basics:
- Create a free account.
- Upload images, documents, and videos to the presentation.
Once the Voicethread is created is when the magic happens. Comments can be left around each part of the slideshow either by voice, text or video. You can also annotate comments as well. Everything can be embed on a webpage or in a blog for even easier sharing.
Here is one I did a while back asking for my Personal Learning Network (PLN) to give me ideas on what their PLN means to them?
You can see there is a mix of comments, some text, some audio and some video. And this one was just one simple image. The possibilities are really endless.
Just a couple of ideas:
- Using a single image or a series of images to introduce a topic to students. Have them comment about what they know or what they are thinking before beginning a unit.
- Instead of having students create a Power Point, create a Voicethread that they get to narrate and share with the class. Other students can leave comments on the different parts of the presentation.
- Creating a "Get-To-Know-You" slideshow for the beginning of the school year.
- Literary review
Here are my favorite resources for learning about and using Voicethread in the classroom:
- Using Voicethread For Digital Conversations-My friend Bill Ferriter has some great student examples of Voicethreads as well as some guides to download to help students through the creation process and to walk them through commenting.
- The How-To Voicethread Wiki-This site has some great screenshots and suggestions how to make your Voicethreads and how to do more with them.
- Voicethread Digital Library-If you are looking for inspiration on for ideas or just want to see some really neat projects check out the Voicethread Digital Library. You can find Voicethread examples for all grade levels and curriculum areas.
- 26 Interesting Ways To Use Voicethread In The Classroom-Another presentation full of ideas.
- Voicethread As A Digital Portfolio-This great post explains how one teacher collected and shared each students' work for an entire year and used Voicethread as the portfolio.
Another great feature? They have an iOS app. So you can create Voicethreads with your iPad or iPod touch. Awesome!
What are your favorite Voicethread resources? Did you do an interesting project with it? Leave a comment or share below!
photo credit: flickingerbrad via photo pin cc